Sunday, May 23, 2010

The No 'Poo Method

While the title may be misleading, it actually isn't a pro-constipation thing... it's all about not using toxic substances to forcefully strip your hair and scalp.

I won't get into all the details here - I'd rather post links to all the details and let you meander around and find out for yourself. The short version is this: washing your hair with baking soda and conditioning it with dilute apple cider vinegar. Since the toxin-free deodorant has been working so well, the Husbeast and I decided to give it a try.

It's been about a week, and my hair is doing fantastic (and as far as I can tell, his is doing very well, too). I was expecting my hair to freak out, since a lot of people say your hair has to "adjust" to not using shampoo... but then I remembered I haven't used commercial shampoo in months and have instead been using Miracle Soap to wash my hair, so it makes sense that my hair was already in a state where it didn't need to "detox" and freak out.

I will probably post more on this later, including photos of the mixes and some exact measurements (since we're experimenting with what is recommended to see what works best for us).

It's satisfying to know I'm putting fewer chemicals on (and therefore into) my body... and I'm also not contributing any more plastic shampoo, conditioner, and deodorant bottles to landfills (yes, we recycle, but there's only so much they can do with plastics). And I'm not using more of my hard-earned money on fancy-schmancy shampoos and conditioners that I honestly don't need. Stickin' it to the man, in other words.

Ah, natural is fun...

A Non-Toxic, Frugal Way To Wash Your Hair Without Buying Shampoo from One Green Generation

Letters to the Editor - Info: Shampoo Free from the Babyslime journal

No comments:

Post a Comment