Monday, February 22, 2010

Natural food

I thought it would be good to warn anyone who reads this blog that next month, there will be daily updates. Why the change, you might wonder. It's because the Husbeast and I have made a commitment to try and go 100% raw for 30 days.

"What is raw?" Well, the raw diet is a way of eating that eliminates all cooked foods from your diet, meaning that you eat fruits, veggies, sprouts, nuts, and legumes... all raw, of course.

"Doesn't that mean eating a lot of salads?" No way! There are thousands of raw recipes (or 'rawcipes,' if you're feeling especially dorky) that can be compared to cooked food recipes. The other evenings, I made "Italian Rawsage" (comparable in flavor to Italian sausage) to take to a raw get-together, and while I didn't like it (but, hey, I don't like Italian sausage, either), the other people at the get-together scarfed down two big plates of the stuff, leaving only one rawsage patty behind (which the Husbeast has for breakfast this morning; to each their own).

If I seem rather unenthusiastic about this diet, it's because I do enjoy my cooked foods. I like pork chops, I love hamburgers, I can down chicken soup like nobody's business. And pastries? Boy, do I love pastries. But I have Lupus, and I've had it since I was 15. So for 12 years (almost 13 now; whoops, now you know my age!) I've suffered with daily pain, and had to deal with Central Nervous System involvement which did cause mild brain damage, and the most random collection of symptoms I've ever heard of: open ulcers inside my mouth, the swelling of the cartilage in my throat, elbows that I couldn't straighten because of the pain, a cyst on my spine that presses on my sciatic nerve... I've had ENOUGH!

All the research I've done into the raw diet seems to indicate that it might be able to heal the body of diseases like Lupus, or fibromyalgia, or diabetes, or cancer. So for the next 30 days, for my sake and for the sake of my Husbeast and Baby Beast, I'll be eating a 100% raw vegan diet in the hopes of seeing a lot of improvement. If I see it, I may continue the diet. But for the month of March, I'll be updating daily with different recipes and how I'm feeling and how things are going.

If nothing else, you'll get to experience the journey of one mommy toward a healthier, more natural life. Or hear confessions of one mommy sneaking a HoHo on day 15. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment