Monday, March 1, 2010

Raw30: Day .5

Why .5? Because I'm planning another post later in the day, once I've done some food prep and actually... you know... rocked this whole raw start off.

For now, though, the Baby Beast and I have just rolled out of bed, and I'm listening to music and sucking down a raw smoothie* I made yesterday, thinking of the food prep I'm going to have to go today.

We're following Alissa Cohen's "Living on Live Food" 30-day plan, so today's food prep will consist of Fettucini Alfredo, Mock Salmon Pate, a Date Nut Torte, and Alissa's Dressing. And apparently, I'll be more-or-less done with prep until Wednesday or Thursday.

I've tried to stay ahead of the game, knowing that I would not roll out of bed and dive right into food prep. For one thing, that's nearly impossible with an 11-month-old trailing you, and the Husbeast won't get up for another hour, at least (he works afternoons/evenings/early night), so I've spent the last couple of days (in the throes of stomach flu) using the new Excalibur Dehydrator to make a variety of snacks to keep me from caving in on day one and eating leftover chicken or something. Peach rings (as chewy as the gummy candies you can buy at Hobby Lobby, and almost as sweet), apple crisps, banana chips... and, of course, raw granola** (grawnola?), which has proven to be a favorite of ours already.


Honestly, this is a fairly typical scene around here lately


So, I don't feel like I'm coming into this blind (and starving) which is probably a good thing. I'll let you know how it goes later on today, once I've actually done some work and I'm not sitting about nursing a baby.

Speaking of the baby (and here is something that is Important, as far as i'm concerned), today he is 11 months old. At the end of this raw experiment, he'll be a year. Staggers the mind.

-----------

* For those who care, here's my basic Raw Smoothie Recipe:

2-3 handfuls of raw baby spinach leaves
1-2 bananas (for sweetness)
1-2 avocados (for creaminess)
2-3 handfuls of whatever frozen fruit I choose for the day (blueberries, blackberries, stawberries, mangoes, pineapples... whatever)
Water for processing

Toss all the ingredients (usually in that order) into your blender or VitaMix (i really recommend investing in a VitaMix, even a used one) and blend until smooth.

** It's amazing how delicious the raw granola came out. I mean, it's made of all good things, but once dehydrated, the texture and flavor are surprisingly granola-esque (well, like a good granola, anyway; nothing at all like the flavorless, cardboard-esque granolas one can usually find in the store). So, here's the recipe for that.

2 coconuts, the meat of
Honey to taste (about three big squeezes)
Cinnamon powder to taste (i coated the top layer of coconut and mixed)

Drain and crack open (by smashing on the floor, in our house) the coconuts and cut the meat out. Process in a food processor until relatively fine-ish.

Squeeze honey over the mass of coconut bits. Mix with your hands. No, really, it's fun.

Pour cinnamon powder (NOT cinnamon sugar) over the mess and mix with your hands, again.

Lay out as smoothly as possible on dehydrator sheets and dehydrate roughly 7-8hr (overnight).

No comments:

Post a Comment