Friday, March 12, 2010

Raw30: Day 12

Today was a busy day of food prep! One turned out delicious, the other not-so-much (in my opinion, but the Husbeast loved it... more on that later).

The first thing we made was Nori Rolls*. I was pretty excited to make them, because I love sushi (other than the whole squick factor of eating-raw-fish-increases-the-likelihood-of-an-intestinal-parasite thing... i have this real fear of parasites. it's a lifelong phobia. they just really give me the wiggins). I usually opt for sushi without raw fish in it, but sometimes you just gotta dive in an have some.

So, eating a raw, vegan mimic of sushi was pretty exciting for me! Especially since it turned out pretty dang delicious!


Nope, that's not rice... it's cauliflower!


Yes, sheets of nori DO count as raw... when you buy the sundried (not roasted!) variety.

After adding a few delicious things to the nori and cauliflower, we had a fairly respectable lunch... although it did make me wish strongly for the little bamboo sushi rolling sheets I've seen before. Please, excuse how sloppy these Nori Rolls look... it's all about how they TASTE.


What you see in the background is Nama Shoyo, the uncooked
version of soy sauce. It really made these rolls taste like the real thing.


After eating such a delicious lunch, what I made for dinner was definitely less inspiring... Angel Hair Pasta with Marinara Sauce.

Let me just say... most of Alissa's pasta recipes call for the use of a Saladacco (a spiralizing slicer). We don't have one. Currently, we have nowhere to stuff one, were we to purchase one. This means that all my pasta is... mmm... less pasta-y than it could be. I really tried with the Angel Hair. I used a knife to pre-slice the zucchini for the pasta into thin strips, then peeled them off with a potato peeler. Labor intensive. And still not quite "pretty" enough to suit me, but enough marinara and who can tell the difference?

So, the pasta and sauce turned out looking great. And really, the marinara tasted just like the real stuff. I mean, exactly like cooked marinara... the problem? I HATE marinara! I think it tastes unpleasant, and it always makes my stomach hurt (one of the fun side-effects of having Lupus; I got IBS in some form or other).



Also, I am still having trouble getting past crunchy "pasta" noodles. And the fact that it's always cold? Yick. So I don't think raw pasta is going to be high on my list of things to make... because the two pasta-immitative dishes I've made haven't really done it for me.

But as for the Nori Rolls? I'm buying some more cauliflower tomorrow.

----------

*Nori Rolls

4 Nori sheets
1/2 head of cauliflower
1 avocado, thinly sliced
Any of the following veggies: shredded carrot, cucumber sticks, mung bean sprouts, etc.

1. In a food processor, grind the cauliflower until grainy.
2. Remove cauliflower mixture from the food processor and place a thin laye of it on a nori sheet. Do not put cauliflower on the top few inches of the sheet.
3. Place slices of avocado and other veggies in the center of the sheet.
4. Rolls the nori sheet, pulling tight as you roll up, and seal with a few drops of water along the seam.
5. With a sharp knife, cut nori roll into inch-thick slices and turn face p on a plate side-by-side.

Serving suggestions: Place Bragg's Liquid Aminos or Nama Shoyu in a small bowl to use as a dipping sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment