Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Raw30: Day 3

Today was what I like to call a "Bad Lupus Day." In other words, I was tired and incredibly achy for most of the day. I limped by, managing to do the daily activities of laundry, food prep, and baby care only by pushing myself through pain that would probably stop most people in their tracks.

I can only assume this is part of the detox process. I'm hoping by next week, I'll be feeling oodles better. If I'm not feeling better by this weekend, I'm definitely going to dive into the Tylenol and Advil again. I may be a rockstar, but I'm not oblivious to pain.

In happier news, I actually experienced a part of Alissa Cohen's book today. About midday, I started thinking of the green smoothies that are a part of my daily diet. I've posted the basic recipe before, and I have to say, they are delicious. But I was so busy trying to make Fettuccine Alfredo for the Husbeast to take with him to work that I never managed to get the VitaMix whirring.

About an hour or so after that, I suddenly started craving meat. Meat, meat, meat. I wanted a hamburger. I wanted roast chicken. I would've even gone for a hotdog. Luckily, I had read (just by accident, flipping through to find the Fettuccine Alfredo recipe) on that very subject earlier in the day.

David Wolfe points out in Sunfood Diet Success System, "When someone says 'I need protein,' what they really need and want is fat. Most people and nutritionists cannot distinguish between the desire for fat and the desire for protein. People can give up steak much easier than cheese, because steak if mostly protein whereas cheese is mostly fat."

I laughed when I remembered that passage, and went ahead and made a green smoothie (with an avocado, of course!) and felt immediately better.

Now, as for the Fettuccine Alfredo* that was the main meal of the day... it wasn't that bad! If you haven't been able to have dairy products for several months (which is my case, since my still-99%-breastfed-baby is allergic to dairy proteins), it tastes pretty close to the actual thing. And it looks close enough to fool someone at a glance!


Other than the green 'noodles,' it looks about right!


While the crunchiness of the noodles was a little off-putting, if you aren't worried about being a strict raw foodist, then I might recommend tossing the 'noodles' into hot-ish water for five minutes to soften them up and make them slightly less surprising when you bite down.

As a nursing mother, I've been having mild daily panic attacks about not making enough milk for my still-almost-completely-breastfed son. I'm trying to eat a lot of nuts (see Alfredo sauce) and lots of greens, since those're supposed to help pump the supply... but I still find the sound of the nursing baby pausing in his sucking to swallow a mouthful of milk to be the most reassuring sound EVER.

Okay, I'm pretty tired (and still pretty sore) so I'm going to wander away and leave the dehydrator rumbling along on its mission to dehydrate some yummy kale and collard chips. If they turn out well, expect a recipe tomorrow night.

----------

*Fettuccine Alfredo from Alissa Cohen's "Living on Live Food"

Fettuccine:
2 zucchini
2 summer squash

Alfredo:
1 cup raw cashews
1 cup raw macadamia nuts
1 cup raw pine nuts
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons Bragg Liquid Aminos
2 Tablespoons water**

For fettuccine noodles:
1. With a vegetable peeler, peel zucchini and squash into long thick strips. These will be your 'fettuccine noodles.' Set aside in a large bowl.

For Alfredo sauce:
1. Place the Alfredo ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
2. Remove from food processor and place in bowl with 'noodles.'

To assemble:
1. With your hands, blend the sauce through the noodles. This will take a few minutes as the sauce will be thick. The water from the vegetables will help thin in out while you kneed it together with your hands.

** I personally used more than this... all things told, it was probably 1/4 cup, with a splash more of the Bragg's. Otherwise, the sauce was more clumpy, less saucy. But, with any recipe, follow the original recipe then adjust to taste/looks***. You can always add more water or salt, but you can't take it out once its in there.

*** Speaking of adjustments, use the recommended amount of zucchini/squash. I thought I'd just use one of each, since two seemed like a lot... but you'll need at LEAST that many 'noodles' to make up the difference in how much 'sauce' you make!

No comments:

Post a Comment