Thursday, March 4, 2010

Raw30: Day 4

The Husbeast ended up having a hectic morning that kept him out of the house, and without him available to help with the walking-like-a-little-drunk-man 11-month-old, I found myself unable to make much of anything impressive. I slapped together a large salad (greens and spinach and mushrooms and avocado and tomato and sprouts and cucumber) along with Alissa's Dressing, right out of her book. It was tasty and filling, but not really 'fancy,' you know?

Luckily, last night's dehydrator project came out delicious. The kale (and collard) chips really didn't make it until nightfall. We munched on them all day long in intermittent bursts, and the Husbeast took a couple handfuls to work with him. They were wonderful, but I think they would've been even better if I'd actually gotten the sauce ingredients into the blender instead of the food processor. Lots of liquid in the food processor basically just means lots of liquid all over the counter.

So today, my main staples were the smoothie I made this morning, the salad, and lots and lots of kale chips* and granola.


They may not look like much, but they are really,
REALLY yummy. The granola, too.


I bought a jicama today to make Spicy Fries tomorrow (because they apparently have the look and texture of fast food french fries, and I'm down with that) but for tonight, I am done and ready to collapse. My pain hasn't been nearly as bad today, but I am flat wiped out. Moms should totally get better bonuses than the Wall Street executives - our jobs are so much harder.

----------
* Chrissy's Goddess Chips

2 bunches kale, broken into large pieces by hand

Dressing:
3/4 cup sesame tahini
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water ~ more if needed
1/4 cup fresh parsley
1/4 cup nama shoyu
2 scallions
1 clove garlic
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 t. sea salt

Place kale in a large mixing bowl. Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth to get a thick consistency. You may have to add more water. Pour over kale and mix thoroughly with your hands to coat the kale. You want this mixture to be really glued onto the kale.

Place kale onto a Teflex sheet, on top of a mesh dehydrator screen, and dehydrate for 4 hours. You'll need to use two trays. Rotate kale occasionally to dry uniformly.

No comments:

Post a Comment