Thursday, March 18, 2010

Raw30: Day 18

Today was a hard day. Both the Husbeast and I have reached a point where we Just Aren't Enthusiastic anymore. He says the food still tastes great, he just isn't enjoying it as much. Personally, I'm not enjoying the taste of much of what I've made lately. Today, I tried making the Broccoli Soup... and while everyone else who tried it was rather enthusiastic about it, I found it off-putting and didn't eat much of it at all.

So instead I fell back on salad and Sunny Pate.



And since I was still hungry, I made a smoothie (using my usual smoothie recipe) and added about a Tablespoon of raw cocoa powder.



We've both been feeling deprived for the last week or so. I think the 100% raw experiment just isn't working at this point. We're both unhappy, and getting grumpy with each other for holding the other one to this diet. I think it's time to switch to a High Raw diet... or, as we jokingly say, 90% raw 100% of the time.

I'd like the freedom of a sandwich or a cup of coffee (it's true; no coffee on a 100% raw diet) now and again. I LIKE being able to have a blueberry bagel, even if I can't put cream cheese on it (because of the Baby Beast's dairy allergy).

But I also like the ability to make fascinating raw dishes and eat them. But if they don't come out appetizing (and the last three haven't), I like having the freedom to say, "That didn't work. Guess I'll pan fry a bit of chicken and make a Chicken Caesar Salad."

So, while I won't stop making fascinating raw recipes, I think it's time to bid adieu to a diet of 100% vegan raw food. At this point in our lives, it's only making us angry... and why do anything that only makes you miserable?

Tomorrow, I am either making a raw Potato Salad (out of jicama, oddly enough) or a Kale Salad. I'm leaning toward the kale right now... because I like kale, and I love avocados (and that's one of the main ingredients). We shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment