Thursday, March 11, 2010

Raw30: Day 11

It may seem like I've gone salad crazy lately... I say that they're easy to throw together, very filling, and endlessly customizable. Today's salad was an example of that.

I sprouted lentils this past week to make Almost Tuna (which was not a recipe i enjoyed; both the Mock Salmon Pate and the Almost Tuna have disappointed me because i love fish, and neither one tasted like the fish i know and love), but I ended up sprouting about four or five cups of lentils, and I only needed something like 1/4 cup of sprouted lentils to make the Almost Tuna. What to do with the leftovers?

Well, the Husbeast has been eating them regularly, taking handfuls in baggies or Tupperware to munch on his breaks at work (he's such a trooper). But today I found a recipe in Alissa's book for a lentil-sprout-based salad*. It contained a lot of other veggies, and once they were all mixed together, I had a really pretty, really unusual salad mixture.



The recipe is titled "Lentil Cups," and the cup portion of it comes into play in the form of a big romaine lettuce leaf. I scooped a few heaping spoonfuls of the lentil mixture in, drizzled with the recommended dressing**, and proceeded to eat something that I probably never would've tried had I not been on a 30-days-of-raw challenge.



Today was a rather nice day, actually. There were even a few moments of downtime (a rarity around here these days). I managed to catch the Husbeast enjoying some quiet while I was putting together the Lentil Cups (his job was to make sure the Baby Beast did not kill himself while i was otherwise occupied; he was laying down on the job, but managing to keep the Baby Beast safe regardless).


Cordy, the toy poodle, decided to join him in lazing around.


Tomorrow is shaping up to be another 'big prep' day. I have two or three recipes I need to put together to call this week "finished," and Saturday morning, we'll be shopping for our Week Three ingredients.

I am still definitely looking forward to eating Thai food for the Baby Beast's birthday. I'm enjoying all these new foods, but it'll be a delight to eat something I didn't have to make myself.

----------

* Lentil Cups

2 cups sprouted lentils
1 cup tomato chopped
1/2 cup cucumber, chopped
1/2 cup yellow pepper, chopped
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 carrot shredded
dash cayenne
sea salt and pepper to taste
6-12 Romaine or Radicchio leaves

1. In a large bowl, toss together all the ingredients except the romaine or radicchio leaves.
2. Place a scoop of this salad onto each romaine or raddicchio leaf and place on a platter.
3. Drizzle with Mrs. Ackerly's Dressing.


** Mrs. Ackerly's Dressing

1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup onion
1/4 cup red bell pepper
1 carrot
2 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon honey
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
dash pepper

1. Blend all ingredients well in a blender.

No comments:

Post a Comment